We finally managed to move the site from WordPressReady.com to WPGetReady.com.
We were reading How to move your content to a new location and we expect the site traffic will go down. Try to make a traffic is a process, so domain changing always has its problems. But after reading a bit, we decided to shortcut the process. These were the final steps:
- Backup the site and database
- Copy backup to new domain & database
- modify records siteurl & home from wp_options table to point the new domain
- modify config.php to point to the new database.
- Access site control panel, but don’t browse the site yet
- Install plugin Search & Replace
- Replace any ocurrence of the old domain in the new database.
With these steps we are cloning the entire site and updating any possible link. To finalize:
- Go back to the old site and modify .htaccess with:
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]
(Reference: How to redirect Old domain to New domain)
This force any link on the older site to redirect to the new one.
Finally some additional work will be needed, for example ,adjusting Google Analytics, Twitter account and so on. And the forum too.